Friday, June 13, 2008

The Idle Middle Class

What does a person do when they don't work? Depends on the person and their financial situation I guess and why they are not working. In my case, it's physically impossible for me to work for the time being and money is not flush, but I'm okay.

The first thing I did (after a lot of deliberation) was get cable television. That really was a good decision because I spend so much time indoors. I like some programs and I wasn't able to get them without cable. I don't go crazy with it but it's nice to have. Good move!!

I changed my eating habits. I now have breakfast and lunch at a specific time. Dinner can be negotiated depending on what I doing. Another good move.

I walk Rosey at the same time morning and evening, she likes the consistency. Works for her and me. Good move.
(She's an angel by the way, and is wonderful company).

I go for lunch with some people that I haven't done before. I love that!! Very Good Move.

I read but it is not the same, I have a hard time concentrating. Not good!

I get bored sometimes which can lead to "you know what". (depression for those of you not in the know) Not good!!

Bottom line......what do other people do??

I'm restricted because I'm on crutches but there must be things that someone can give me suggestions on.

PS I don't want to spend a lot of my time online, I don't think that is healthy.

4 comments:

Lemuel said...

I'm not going to be much help. I've never had any sustained period of not working - either for health reasons or for layoffs. My vacations are usually consumed with travel to my in-laws or to my sons' or with "to do" lists.

When and if I ever have such, it will be quite interesting for me to see how I will handle it. I do not care for TV; my max endurance is about an hour, then I figit and have to get up and do something. Online time is getting that way too.

I'm sure that Rosey does appreciate both the walks and the consistency. My own experience with our dogs is that they are very much creatures of habit. I swear that they little Rolexes hidden in their fur!

maggie said...

Hi Lemuel, You're right, you weren't very much help.LOL!!!!
But I appreciated your comment as I always do. :-)
I'm probably doing the best that anyone can do, I was just looking for some input.
Getting out every day is probably the most important thing to do and Rosey makes sure I do that.
Thanks Lem my dear, I always love your comments!

Ur-spo said...

I can think of countless things I would do without having to work, but when I think of them, most of the involve running around and moving - so I see your plight.

I suggest you start with a structured day; making sure you get up at the same time, daily exercise hour, walk the pooch etc.
Meanwhile, start thinking of some non-movement hobbies. Sewing, painting, etc.
Good luck on this. I think with some creativity you could fill up a day in no time.

maggie said...

Hi Spo, Thanks very much for your suggestions.
I do what you suggested, regarding the structure of starting the day but the only thing I can't do is the exercise part. Walking Rosey is the only exercise I can do and believe me, I'm really looking forward to when I can do more. There is a Nubodys (gym) in my complex and I have already had an appointment, so as soon as I can, I'm there. :-)
You're a doll to comment and help me Spo, thanks again.

PS I'm not being a wuss or a selfish complainer, I'm just scared about depression raising it's ugly head.