Thursday, June 28, 2007

Good Deed Goes Awry

Princess (my daughter) is big on donating blood. As my iron is always 'iffy, I'm a bit leery. She dragged me to the blood bank last summer and everything went relatively well. My iron was good, they got my blood in record time and afterwards I got up[jumped] from the bed, very pleased with myself.

Then I went over to the table to join her for a spot of tea and well........it was all downhill from there. I started to lose my hearing and everything got very fuzzy. I managed to get to a bed before falling down, then they all came around me, putting wet cloths on my brow, feeding me orange juice, etc.
What a fuss, it was very embarrassing.

I finally got up the nerve to go again today, as they are advertising they are short of my blood type. All went well again, except this time I had tons of juice and cookies beforehand, to avoid what happened last time.

When I was finished today I told them what happened last time, so they kept me longer.

Later I was told to swing my legs over the side to get up. So far so good. Then I stood up, felt great, the nurse went away, and all of a sudden my arm started spurting blood all over the place. They had put a gauze pad over the area with a band-aid holding it in place but it did nothing to stop the situation.

It was literally gushing, all over the bed, down my arm right to my fingers. It soaked my leather watchband. The nurse rushed over, laid me down again and started wiping up the mess. She had me hold a towel to my arm to stop the flow. She then wrapped some kind of sticky tensor bandage four or five times around my arm to stop the flow.

I wonder how long I have to leave it on??
















I probably needed a transfusion myself after all that but they didn't offer. :)

BUT I did get a T-shirt out of the deal. My shirt was covered in blood and they have a policy that if you get blood on your clothes, you get a t-shirt!!! The only one they had was an X-Large and almost down to my knees. (See Below)

Beggars can't be choosers...........
This idiom means that people who are in great need must accept any help that is offered, even if it is not a complete solution to their problem.

Will I go again?? Sure, now that I know the "what not to do" stuff.

How was your day??

6 comments:

Lemuel said...

OH MY! To give blood is noble. I used to do it. If you attempt this again, lie down for a LONG time and get up VERY slowly. Do not feel embarrassed by the fainting spell. I've been pretty woozy myself when I tried to get back into action too quickly. Also I think someone did not care properly for your wound. Not your fault. Besides they must have really wanted your blood type if they stuck a fire hose in your vein! :)

I no long (can) give blood. Something about having had contact with another man even once since 1977. Even though tested and HIV negative, they don't want my gay blood. It might turn up in some wing nut and he would turn purple and grow a triangle out of his head. (Sorry for the sarcasm.)

Seriously, I hope you are back feeling better and all things are under control.

maggie said...

Hi Lemuel, I noticed that question on the form too. 1977 is a magic number.
They are seriously being stupid about that, blood is desperated needed.
Blame it on their own stupidy and all the lawsuits they had to settle, now they are being super picky.
It's not just you either, there are a lot of different people they won't let give.

I'm fine, I actually wrote about my day because I thought it was funny. I have a big bruise, but I can use it to my advantage as a "battle scar" tale. :)

Ur-spo said...

well donating blood is not for everyone. I think you gave it a good try. Consider some other less bloody ways to help out.

maggie said...

Hi Spo, True, but I'm gonna keep on 'til I get it right! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness girl!!

I would have been terrified!

Glad you're good and it wasn't traumatic!

maggie said...

Hi BG, I'm fine, I've been thru a lot worse!! :)
Thanks for your kind words though!