Saturday, June 23, 2007

Friends.......

I'm really sad and melancholy today. I just found out that a friend is dying.

My girlfriend in Toronto told me Gerry has Head and Neck Cancer: Squamous Cell Carcinoma ...

They give him 3 months but he is only around 70 lbs now so it won't be that long.

I called Mt. Sinai (the hospital he's in) this morning. It didn't even sound like him and I hope that he knew who he was talking too. All I could do was give him my love and tell him I was thinking of him every day. It's times like this when I wish I was back in Toronto to spend time and help comfort him. But I'm not.......

There used to be a local bar/pub that all the locals went to after work or on the weekends. There was a very eclectic group of people but we all got along. There were professionals, labourers, writers, actors, rednecks, but everyone respected each other for who they were, not what they did.

Gerry always had a book in his hand, sitting on a barstool, reading and enjoying his drink and cigarette. Don't get me wrong, he'd always get involved in a conversation that he found interesting.

No one really knew too much of his past except that he had lived in Japan for quite a number of years. He also has an ex-wife (Japanese) and a son. He is also brilliant, actually genius would be more accurate. We also got the impression that he came from a very wealthy family. Not that he said anything, but he had that air and monies would come from mummy when he needed it.
He worked as a courier and that didn't pay much, but he liked the freedom it gave him.

He used to try and engage me to join him in cryptograms that he enjoyed (extremely difficult). For some reason he thought I was smart also!!! I tried and did manage to keep up with him.(Barely) :-)

We also have a neighbourhood blog of sorts, called a Community Form, that he is the manager of. It was great for me because I could still stay in touch with everyone from the 'hood, even though I had moved away. He pissed people off because he was always posting intellectual stuff that no one could understand. I always enjoyed his posts though because they were always relevant to what was going on in todays society.

He has a girlfriend that is a dimwit. (once again I'm guessing, no pressure). She says she has her degree in English Lit, but she sure doesn't act it. I'm so worried about him because she does not have a clue on how to help him. He wants to come home to die and she is incapable of handling the situation. Like getting a nurse or caregiver to come in and look after him, monitoring his medications, getting support from the health system, etc. Looking into all these important things are beyond her. It's not that she is overcome with grief, she is just hopeless. I am hoping that the rest of his friends will step in and help.

He wants to go home........he misses his computer.
Is that too much to ask for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I totally get that he wants to go home. I wouldn't want anyone that felt like that stuck somewhere like that for another minute. Poor thing.
2. As I read this I realized that he is already gone due to the fact that I got behind on your usually quiet blog. Sorry bout that.
3. I LOVE cryptoquotes, does that make me intelligent? I can't do crosswords though. It's like you have to know history and I hated history class, so not my thing.
4. Hope your feeling all right, I worry.

maggie said...

Dear BG, What wonderful comments.
Now I know why I like my blogger's so much. Hugs Galore!!

PS There are degrees of cryptograms,going from beginner's to advanced. You don't need something like this to tell you you are intelligent. Your writing tells us that! xxoo