Sunday, March 18, 2007

Fool Me Once...Shame On You



Fool Me Twice.......Shame On Me


There's this *homeless lady* that sits on a corner of a very popular street here. She's somewhere between late fifties and early sixties. That in my mind, put her somewhere in the middle of too old to work and too young for a pension.

Because of this scenario (in my mind), it put her at a disadvantage for proper government assistance. She carried a sign (god bless, yadda,yadda), she doesn't bother anyone and is always polite.
I gave her five dollars whenever I saw her. I also used to go the the grocery and get her things she needed written on her sign. (food)
She had yarn on her sign one day, so I went home and in the pouring rain I brought her extra yarn and needles I had at home. Thinking that this would be good therapy for someone depressed and lonely.

Well, one day I was riding the bus and I overheard a woman telling someone else that *she*(homeless woman) lived in a seniors building where the rent was very cheap. That changed my opinion somewhat for awhile and after that I would just talk to her and listen to her ailments and give her encouragement.

Today I was out and about and there she was again. As I was in my gourmet deli I was feeling sorry for her and bought her a hot chocolate(she loves them) and also some fresh strawberries. I went out on the street and thought....what good are strawberries without cream? I went to another store and bought cream.

I came across the street to give her my gifts and she said to me, " that's not hot chocolate is it"?
I said with a smile, "yes it is". She said where did you buy it? I said at the gourmet store. I can't drink that, I can only drink Tim Horton's. Besides she said, someone has gone to get me a camomile tea with lemon.
There was this poor soul beside her shaking with the cold (not a tooth in his head) and I asked him if he would like it. I'd LOVE it, he said.

As for the strawberries and cream.............
Let's just say they didn't go to waste.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandma lives in a home for retired people on tight budgets. Their rent is adjusted to their income. I hear them complain in there of the rent being to high for one and too low for another. Some of them really like to cry the blues.

I once would take flowers to my X's great aunt and one day I stopped by and she was putting the old flowers in her garbage pit and she said to me, "Don't bring anymore flowers for a while at least." I never visited her again. I was so hurt. She didn't even say why, or that she liked them but...nothing.

*sigh*I wish someone would bring me flowers and hot chocolate. How nice of you! You are a very caring soul.

maggie said...

Hi BG, so are you!!! What a sweet and considerate thing for you to do! Maybe we are doing something wrong??
Or maybe when people get older, they look at things different than we do?

Lemuel said...

So wonderful that you were not turned off to helping others by the old woman's "scam"!

My experience with a lot of "big name" charities has been that they are getting a bit too persnickity. They are very picky about what they want and what they will take. I pass them by and find charities that are actually helping others and grateful for every helping hand.

maggie said...

You're right Lemuel, but she really had me fooled. My spidey sense usually has me clued in to these people but when I get emotionally involved, it *flies* out the window.

Especially older women......

Ur-spo said...

complexities!

maggie said...

Spo....you and your one-liners.
I used to do that on a couple of blogs and it drove them crazy.
(They were writer's)

TigerYogi said...

Talk about "beggars can't be choosers"!!!