Friday, January 11, 2008

Protection and Protectors

This is a story about my psychiarist and the people with whom I work. One of whom is protecting herself from any future lawsuit (and maybe my privacy) and those who protect me personnally. Here goes the tale...........

I left a message on my psychiarist's voicemail to let her know I needed a prescription renewal . I would have waited for our next appointment but it was too far away.

Anyway, she returned my call at work and asked to speak with me. She ran into the gatekeeper. (Our Office Manager). She asked for me and was told I was away for lunch. "When will she be back"? she said. "At 2:00 P.M. but she will be with patient's so maybe you would like to leave a message", our manager said. No, said my psychiarist, I will try another time.

Well, I had 3 messages from her on my voicemail when I got home and she basically told me when I could drop by her office. Fine with me.

The trouble started when (according to our manager) she (my shrink) started talking elusively to her on the phone. It was not the soft voice that she left on my phone but a very overbearing and demanding one. My manager thought she was a telemarketer and was protecting me from her. I never even knew about the call but everyone else in the office did!!

When I did see my psychiarist the next evening, she explained to me that she did not want to leave her name because of confidentiality. I completely understood but explained that her being so evasive brought more curiousity than anything.
I also told her that everyone at work knows about her and my depression issues, I'm not ashamed of them. My patient's are not aware though, there is a private matter there. Completely different!!

My fellow employees are very supportive and protective of me. Same goes for my boss.

This makes me feel safe! I can't think of any other word that would describe it accurately!

Have A Great Weekend Guys and Gals,
Love Maggie

4 comments:

Lemuel said...

It is good to hear that all are concerned about protecting you, but perhaps your psychologist could improve upon her manner of leaving messages so that she does not pique undue curiosity.

Have a great weekend, Maggie!

maggie said...

Hello My Sweet, :)
I agree with you completely. That was sorta' the reason for my post.
She really piqued their curiosity by being so vague and abrupt.
I figure she must have had a bad prior experience where after it, she became very careful.
That, or they stress the utmost importance of privacy in her vocation. Spo?????

Ur-spo said...

i have had similar problems returning patient's phone calls and trying hard not to blow confidentiality.
I try to be civil and use my name without title and 'have this person call me back'.
tough rope to walk.

maggie said...

Hi Spo, Thank You!! My psychiarist was not doing that. I don't have any issues with her because of this but did explain that being evasive and "overbearing" was not the route to travel.
Your way of calling seems so much more natural, it doesn't raise any flags. But then again, you are such an intuitive person, what more can I say?

Hugs to Spo........