Monday, September 03, 2007

Readin' and Ritin' ........

I have a big confession to make. I like to read blogs more than I like to write.
That's just my nature, I like to listen more than I like to talk. [most times]
But there has to be give and take in Blogosphere, so here goes........

Long weekend here in the City of Universities. That's right folks, we have more universities in this city than any other city in Canada.

That means......... lots of students, lots of bars, lots of drinking, lots of carousing til the wee hours, lots of parties, lots of noise, lots of mischief (destructive)............
Are you getting the picture yet?

They are all moving in this weekend...........

I live in the part of this city that is considered old money and high social standing. Two of the most respected Uni's are also in this area. Therefore we have a mix of snobs, professionals, and drunken hooligans. [That's what they amount to on a friday or saturday nite]

It's interesting to watch them all cohabitate. As I'm sitting here on my computer, I'm looking out my window and I see them all milling about.

HomeOwners:
Some hiding behind their high fences with security. Others walking their dogs, gardening, small children playing outside, friends over for drinks in the afternoon, barbecuing dinner in the backyard........ simple family stuff.

Then there are the..........

Students:
Some playing football in the street, another couple of kids walking by on the sidewalk with chairs on their head. A few minutes ago I saw one fellow go by, pushing a computer chair with a huge mattress doing a balancing act on it, rolling down the middle of the street. While others have yet to arise, still recuperating from the wild party the nite before.

I don't complain about any of their shenanigans. Not my style, I've spent too much time in Toronto I guess. There you mind your own business.
When the noise level gets really out of hand at a very late hour, there is always someone who will call the authorities. There is a special hotline given out to all the locals, just for this.

My tolerance level is pretty high, you are only young once.
As far as I'm concerned, party on, but be respectful to other people while doing so.

How was your weekend??

7 comments:

Lemuel said...

Our new home is about a mile or so from a college (an alma mater of mine as a matter of fact). This will be our first "beginning of term" here, so I was a bit interested to see what effect the student population would have. We moved in right at the end of spring semester. Of course, I was a little angle - we all were - when I was a student here over 40 years ago. ;) So far all is quiet, no need to bar the gates or hide the women-folk. :)

Actually the weekend has been rather productive. excellent weather to get things done outside. and cool enough in the morning to move stuff finally into the attic. - of course, we had a holiday today too. All the nicer!

maggie said...

Hi Lemuel, That mile or so, just might be your saving grace.

Also, the fact that we have so many bars downtown that cater to the students, doesn't help the situation. They lure them in with $1 for a shot of liquor or a beer until midnite.
Also $5 for a pitcher of beer, what else would you expect the result to be?

It's actually sad because most of these kids have never been away from home before and it's like "open season" on drinking.

I'm really glad to hear that things are going well and that you are able to enjoy your holiday.

Hugs Galore........

Anonymous said...

I think I knew that guy with the mattress, he was trying to save his moving truck money so he could buy a bong.

I would love entertainment like that.

Maybe I should go to college?

Do they accept kids in the dorms? You know like five year olds and stuff.

*L*

I kid.

maggie said...

Hi BG, You're probably so right about that!
It is entertaining to watch what some of these kids come up with.

They also use the carts from the grocery store for moving their stuff. I saw a guy a couple of days ago trying to balance a big screen tv on one.
That one was a hoot!!!

Kids in the dorm?? I don't see why not. They're filled with big kids, so why not little ones.

I kid you not. ;)

Ur-spo said...

when i lived in ann arbor, the annual 'student move in' meant staying home that weekend, especially from stores like kmart etc.
grit your teeth but remember they bring in the bucks.

maggie said...

Hi Spo, I know that only too well!!
("they bring in the bucks").

Down to taxi service, bars, grocery and retail stores, public transit, etc., they bring in a great deal of income to the city.

As much as they annoy me with their noice and partying, I stick up for them on this very issue.

Thank you for bringing up a very important point. :)

Ur-spo said...

hey, time to put out some news?!