Sunday, August 26, 2007

PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL, SHHHHHHHH!!!!

I haven't signed on the dotted line of the contract yet.....but it's looking pretty good!!!

Last fall I gave my boss my resume, to be given to the Director of Dental Studies, at the local University. He has taught there for the last 15?? years and I thought he would know the best person to give it too. WRONG!!! Apparently he gave it to some old geiser, who gave it to some other old geiser. The bottom line was it never reached anyone, so I heard nothing.

Out of the blue last month I had a message from The Director on my answering machine, telling me she had just found my resume and would I still be interested. Hell Yes!! But I didn't quite put in into those exact words when I spoke to the department.

PROBLEM!!! The Director that left me the message, was one of her last offical duties. ( It was left on a Friday nite at 8:00 pm) She was retiring that day!!

Anyhoo, I called the department on Monday (found out all the above) and discussed the possibility of my being hired. But alas, it was too late, they had hired everyone they needed for the fall semester. I received the "declined" letter a week later from the New Director and it was so personal and kind, I called back to thank her. Also to tell her that I was still interested, should they need my services in the future.

Well........I had a phone call at work last thursday and apparently they need someone!!
Someone must have cancelled?? I have to take a day off work to do this, so I told her I would speak with my boss and get back to her.

I spoke with my boss that very day, starting off with that I had had a proposition for a job.
It wasn't intentional but I think that it was for the best. His eyes became guarded and his first words were, "from whom"? I said it was the university and it would be only one day a week.
I also told him that I thought it would be very good for me. (he knows all about my depression).

He immediately said that he thought it would be good for me too. (Have I ever mentioned that my boss is fantastic and I love him for it). It also didn't hurt that they want me for fridays and he teaches there two fridays himself, so it would be only two days that I would be missing in the office.

Well... I have a meeting with the director on September 5 and will be signing the contract hopefully on that day. I will be in the clinic with all the young potential dentists, and I can't tell you how excited I am!!!

Cross your fingers and toes for me guys!!

7 comments:

Lemuel said...

Oh, giant crossed fingers and bear HUGS and hopes for you, Maggie! That is great!! So many good wishes for you in this new opportunity!!! Keep us posted. And if anything goes afoul, just let me know. Since I've been banished to the 7th level of hell for my violence, I figure I might as well use it and come up and kick the living sh*t out of anyone who blocks this for you. I'll even wear my boots to do it, too!

maggie said...

Lemuel, I didn't know you were an ass kickin' kinda guy!
Am I ever glad you're on my side!! :)
Seriously though, thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a lot to me.

Love Maggie

Ur-spo said...

i have my eyes crossed too.

maggie said...

Spo, thank you so very much!! That must have been the deal clincher.

I received my contract by courier today and all I had to do was sign on the dotted line. They also sent me the roster schedule for those teaching and I'm on it.

PS
In her cover letter, the director also started out with addressing me as........
Dear Professor M. *** *******!!

How cool is that?? :)

Ur-spo said...

professor!
way cool!
don't allow them to call you prof though.

TigerYogi said...

Good luck Sweetie! :)

maggie said...

Hi TY, Thank you very much. By the way, it's really nice to hear from you. :)