Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ranting.........Life Goes On

Talk about being in the doldrums..........I'm in a major funk today.

I just talked to my younger sister and she laid some pretty heavy stuff on me. She and her family are moving to Southwestern Ontario the end of June. She has received a job transfer with her bank and while it is a wonderful opportunity for her to advance..........it breaks my heart.

I will miss my nephew(godson) and neice so very much, that's all I can think about. She already makes a six figure salary, what more can she want? I understand that it is a huge promotion but what about life? Her husband is a great guy who has a great job and he is very flexable when it comes to moving. (He's a software engineer and companies actually seek him out).

She was whispering to me on the phone as they haven't told their son yet. He's fourteen, does excellent in school, plays in a hockey league, has his own band (he plays the guitar). He just bought the guitar of his dreams that he has been saving for.

I feel so bad for him when he hears the news. His two best friends live on his street, he's not going to take it well. Neither am I.

I don't understand. They have a beautiful home, great neighborhood , they definitely don't have money problems, a lot of people would love to have what they have.

I know I'm just being selfish, but isn't there more to life than career opportunities? When is enough, enough?

Last christmas, I was teasing my sister because my brother-in-law gave her books of poetry and beautiful scented candles. (I found out later that all she reads are books involving business).
He gave her tons of other stuff but I was surprised at these because he's not a mushy kind of guy. Now I know why. She's driven and where she's going.............

Southwestern Ontario for now, and I will just have to accept it.

9 comments:

TigerYogi said...

((HUGS))

steve'swhirlyworld said...

I'm sorry to hear that your sister and her family are moving away...that SUQUES! (french version). It seems that her husband is very supportive - I hope the transition is smooth for the kids and you.

maggie said...

Hi TY, Thanks, Hugs back.

Hi Steve, It's the next day and I still don't feel better.
Hre husband is too damn supportive. I hope the kids are okay too, thanks.

Ur-spo said...

I agree; there is more to life than having the biggest salary. Let's hope there is more involved in this than a pay raise.
Perhaps you will get the nephew?

maggie said...

Hi Spo, yes there is. She went with another bank last November and I'm guessing that part of the deal was that she was flexible with a transfer.
I'd gladly take my godson but I don't think that's a option. :(

Lemuel said...

So sorry to hear about your sister's move and the impact it will have on you. As I approach our own move, I am thinking about the good friends and the good things we will leave behind. For us it is not so stark as for you. We will be close enough to continue our relationships.

maggie said...

Hi Lemuel, It's just that the kids are at that age where they change every day. I'll still see them 2-3 times a year. Thanks for your concern.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. I have seen many make the mistake of money over family. Money is evil and toxic. Yet we truly do need it don't we.

I hope the transition is not too difficult. May many emails get sent and many long talks be talked.

maggie said...

Hi BG, It will all be fine, I am just being selfish.
They say you don't need money to be happy. Tell that to someone who's homeless. Take care.