Sunday, March 11, 2007

My American Cousin

During the 40's and 50's a lot of Maritimer's left Canada to go to the "states" for work, Massachusetts was a favorite place to go. My uncle was one of them.

There's a movie, My American Cousin and it always brings back memories. Sad mostly, not because of the times my cousin and I spent together but what happened to her. Every year around this time I get nostalgic.

This is my post from last year....

Murder....... I'm remembering my cousin now.

Every summer my uncle and his family used to visit us from Massachusetts. Holly, my cousin was 1 year younger than me and we were inseparable . She was quite beautiful and when we were always told we looked alike, it was a real compliment.

Years went by and as we got older, she didn't come with the family, as she did her own thing at home, as teenagers do.

It is 13 years now that Holly is dead.

She went missing one fall and it wasn't until the following spring that her body was found because they has a great deal of rain that year and she was washed up from her burial site.

HIS favorite fishing hole. The man who murdered Holly was not caught until a few years later when he did a few more in Florida. He is now on death row.

Capital Punishment??? It doesn't bring back our loved ones does it. An eye for an eye, no. But maybe it saves someone elses loved ones.

James Randall
He had his death sentence reduced and now serves a life sentence. I really don't know how I feel about that. All I do know is that I miss her and he took her away.
Since than, I have a fixation on people on death row. Their last words really. They usually say something in regards to God and how different they are now. Hallelujah!!
My opinion..........
Too much, too little, too late.

6 comments:

Lemuel said...

For all of us who are decent, thoughtful people the issue of capital punishment is indeed a dilemma.

You are right to mourn your cousin and to seek justice in her name. May you and your larger family find a peace in the midst of your struggle with it.

Ur-spo said...

indeed; what a matter is this.

TigerYogi said...

((HUGS))

maggie said...

Hi Lemuel, I totally agree.Thanks for your kind words.

Hi Spo, Sorry for the depressing post.

Hi Tiger, Thanks doll.

steve'swhirlyworld said...

Maggie, I'm sorry that you're having to tell such a horrific story. Remember, when you think of those who are no longer with us, they are the close. Your cousin is still living in your memories. Do something today in her honor - something to celebrate life. Take care honey.

maggie said...

Hi Steve, Thank you for your kind words. Memories are all we have and that's what people we leave behind will have of us.