Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Do You Be Believe In Santa Claus?

I had a patient in last week with her four children. (Actually I posted their drawings)
When the six year old was in the chair I was asking her about Santa. By the twinkle in her eye I knew, the jig was up. "You know something", I said. She said her mommy puts santa's name on their gifts. I said, "oh".
Later the mom told me that they don't encourage the "idea" of santa. Her husband was very upset when he found out that santa wasn't real and he blamed his father for lying to him. (Sounds like he needs some time on the couch)
I felt sad but it was none of my business.

Today I had a patient that has two small children (5 & 6) that had a completely different view on the situation. My view also. Believing in Santa is a special time for a child. The excitement, the anticipation, are beyond what lies ahead of us as adults.

Her husband is an author and has a true story in a book named, Christmas in the Maritimes.

(Very short version) One evening he and his son (6) were in a mall and there was the typical mall Santa. Cheesy outfit, but HE DID have a real beard.
His son was already a bit skeptical about santa and said to his dad, "I don't think santa is real, do you"? His dad, dissappointed that the time had come said, "I don't know, but I bet if he was he would never forget the names of his children".

Well.........Daddy walks up to Santa and says, "hello Santa". Santa says, "Jamie, how big you've grown, how are you". (Daddy's name is Jamie)

His son is blown away. Daddy is saved for another year and a child's innocence is intact.

PS "Santa" was an actor that Jamie knew from school. :)

4 comments:

TigerYogi said...

Love it! :)

maggie said...

I knew that you would, you old softie. :)
And I love you for it!

steve'swhirlyworld said...

Very cute story. Believing in Santa was one of the MANY highlights of being a child. I can't imagine it otherwise.

maggie said...

I can't imagine it either. :)