Wednesday, November 08, 2006

One of The Perks of My Job

I meet so many people thru my job and the fascinating history that goes along with them.

For Example:

Yesterday
(Let me try to get this straight)

I had this lovely lady in yesterday (eighty-five years young). Her father died when she was a little girl and her mother had to care for her and her sister all alone. She (her mother) went from a clerk at Eatons, to a receptionist in a doctor's office, to the social secretary for the lieutenant-governor's office. (She served under 5) She was there when Queen Elizabeth, still a princess, paid a visit to the province. I won't mention who, but a very important premier's wife attempted to speak to the princess at dinner (under the influence of alcohol) and the princess stared straight ahead, hearing nothing. Protocol says that you don't speak to royalty until they speak to you.

Her son(my patient) is an English Professor at a Canadian university, her daughter-in-law is a playwright that received, "The Order of Canada" this year. She was there and says Michaelle Jean made them feel like they were in her home.

I'M NOT FINISHED YET.........

Her aunt, (her mother's sister) was Mabel Bell's secretary. She was asked to help with a party Alexander was having, entertaining men from the British Admiralty, interested in his Hydrofoil, HD-4.

Never mind all that, she ended up getting engaged to one of the men and they were to be married in London. Her own father couldn't make it, so Alexander Graham Bell gave her away at the wedding.

How cool is that?

No comments: