Sunday, November 26, 2006

HOW COLD IS IT?

Cold enough to freeze your eyeballs. (You were perhaps expecting another type?) :)

Downtown Calgary

-26 degrees celsius
-45 with the windchill factor








It's only November, I can't even think what they have in January. Princess was telling me today that they pray to the chinook gods for warm weather.

CHINOOK
Warm, dry air mass that descends the eastern slopes of the U.S. and Canadian Rocky Mts. after having lost moisture by condensation over the western slopes. Chinooks occur mainly in winter. They sometimes replace the cold continental air mass over the western plains, causing rapid melting of snow and temperature increases as great as 40°F (22°C) within a few hours. Similar winds occurring in the Alps and elsewhere are known as foehn winds. The term chinook was originally applied by Oregon settlers to a moist Pacific wind blowing from the direction of a Chinook camp.

Princess is telling me this as I am sitting in the living room with my windows open. I told her Halifax is going to be downright balmy for her when she comes on holiday. It's funny because we both hate the weather here. The rain doesn't fall here, it swirls around you. It's humid in the summer(bad for the hair), and the winds, oh the winds.

Putting all that aside, I guess it sounds pretty damn good compared to Calgary.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

every so often I have a fancy to retire to Canada (as my roots are there) but then I remember it's COLD!
I've lived in Arizona for 2 years and now feel 5 degrees Celsius is bitter cold.

maggie said...

I used to go to Arizona every year. (Scottsdale) My ex lived there and my daughter spent her summers with him when she was little. I remember sun bathing in the backyard in 117 F degrees.

All of Canada is not that cold.
I'd normally say Vancouver but they are having a terrible time of it now. The best of both worlds is the is the way to go. Summer in Canada, winter in Arizona.
Thanks for dropping by. :)