Monday, June 05, 2006

Jun 5 1975
During the Wish You Were Here recording sessions, Syd Barrett just happens to wander into Abbey Road studio while Pink Floyd are mixing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," a song written about Barrett. At first, none of Syd's former bandmates recognizes the fat, bald lunatic who is compulsively brushing his teeth.

Happenstance, perhaps........

Barrett's trademark was playing his Fender Esquire guitar by sliding a zippo lighter up and down the fret-board thru an old echo box to create the mysterious, otherwordly sounds that became associated with the group.

Today
He is apparently not happy being reminded about his past as a musician and the other members of Pink Floyd have no direct contact with him. However, he did go to his sister's house in 2002 to watch the BBC Omnibus documentary made about him - apparently he found some of it "too noisy", though he's said to have enjoyed hearing "See Emily Play" again.

I went to a Pink Floyd concert at the CNE a number of years ago with my then boyfriend. We were in the press section beside the stage, excellent view. I was not familiar with their music but went because I thought he was. Halfway thru, he asked me if I was enjoying myself. Not really, I responded, how about you? Not really he said, I thought you liked them. We laughed and said "we're outta' here". Sorry Pink Floyd.

No comments: