Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Maritimes

After living here for the past 2 -3 years I've learned that these people have their priorities straight. For example, they have drive-thru liquor stores, even 24 hour ones . One was even open yesterday, yes on Good Friday. I didn't go there ( already stocked up) but I was told of it by a person at work. These are the same people who fight against stores open on sunday. Go figure, liquor stores yeah, grocery stores nay. They don't have Brewer Retail Stores, just liquor stores. Too many stops I guess, get everything at one place, saves time.

They are also one of the most enviromentally conscious places in Canada . Apparently the recycling program here (Halifax) is so successful that Toronto has asked the man responsible to devise a program for them. Beware, he's tough!

Everyone here is educated, they all have a degree. The sad part is that once they have their degrees there's nothing to do with it unless they go on to graduate school . Therefore, they have all these educated kids working for minimum wage, which sucks here.

The good part is (totally selfish) when you go shopping or to a pub you're dealing with intelligent people. Eg. making change. At a store when the total amount adds up to $16.26 and you give them a twenty with a loony and 26 cents, they don't look at you funny. They act like you are doing them a favor. The other day a drug store had tylenol on sale, $2.99 for 20 gelcaps. The girl said they didn't have them in stock but they would sell me a package of 40 for $ 5.98 . That would not happen in Toronto, I can't tell you the number of times I have tried to do the change thing and all I got was puzzled looks. I love Toronto but this place is kinda' growing on me.

No comments: