Sunday, April 09, 2006

April 9

Education and Sharing day is a day made by the United States Congress in honor of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson's (1902-1994) efforts for education and sharing for Jews and non-Jews alike. During his lifetime the Rebbe opened scores of center's of education called "Chabad Houses". Today there are over 4000 centers and institutions of education in 71 countries. It was inaugurated April 18, 1978 by president Jimmy Carter and since proclaimed annually on the Jewish birthday of Menachem Mendel Schneerson. In 2006 it was April 9.

Sharing Day, hmmmmm, I don't like to share my things. My books especially. For some reason when I have people over they look at all my books (I have a few) and feel that they should read more. They inevitably start perusing my bookshelves for one to borrow. It's insane and I can't explain it, but my heart starts to go in palpitations. A lot of people treat books like they are only there for their enjoyment, to be used and then abandoned. My books are like my family, near and dear to me. It would be like lending out your mother or sister, not knowing what condition they would be in when, or if they were returned .

I now have a special shelf for these occasions, books I have never read (nor have any interest in doing so). I gently lead my guests in their direction and rave how wonderful they are. I have never got one of those books back, nor do I care. My family is safe.

1 comment:

Heipel said...

I don't lend my books! And whenever someone takes a book off my shelves, I hover like they're holding something they're likely to drop and destroy -- "don't break the spine," I say, always, to looks of 'I wasn't even gonna open the stupid book...'

I with you on the book paranoia. Clearly a sign of character :)