Sunday, April 23, 2006

Apr 23 1940
198 negroes are killed when the Rhythm Night Club burns down in Natchez, Mississippi. According to one eyewitness: "Everyone was trying to get out and crushing each other as the fire was burning them. All were crying and yelling and after a while I could smell the burning meat. I hope I never see anything like it again." The fire is blamed on the decorative but highly-combustible Spanish moss.

Sad way to start a blog, but infinitely true.

I started the day off by having a very serious conversation with my bestest friend, who shall hereonin be known as, The Pink Princess, because if I used her actual name, she would decapitate me. The conversation was about the tooth fairy. I have been told by another good friend that I have the "sense of ridiculous", which I took as a compliment. It takes one to know one, so The Princess and I hit it off immediately. After the tooth fairy discussion was exhausted we moved on to her experience, the day before, at a bakery. It's supposed to be the best bakery in town. Anyway, she went there yesterday at noon and there were only 2 loafs of bread left on the shelves. There was one guy behind her that took the last remaining one and another guy behind him. "Any more bread", the last guy inquired? A nod to the day old was what he got in response. She said she gripped her loaf oh so tightly at this point and thought, "thank god I didn't stop for that mocca". Is the bread that good I inquired? It's okay she said, but I definitely wouldn't want the day old.

No comments: