Thursday, April 13, 2006

Apr 13 1981
Washington Post reporter Janet Cooke wins a Pulitzer Prize for her story about Jimmy, an 8 year old heroin addict. Strangely, police could find no trace of this boy. And this was one of those investigative journalism Pulitzers, not a fiction Pulitzer, so she was forced to return the award two days later. Cooke later clerked part-time at a department store cosmetics counter in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Hmmmmm.......... me thinks this sounds an awful lot like James Frey's fiction addiction.

Good Friday

It's only a holiday now but used to be so much more. I went to a catholic school with nuns as teachers. The school was also right next door to the church, so we had to go to every mass and attend every funeral that took place. To this day, everytime I smell incense, I see the priest shaking it (in a silver thing with a long chain) around someone's coffin.

Good Friday was my favorite mass. As a small child I was mesmerized by the priest's attire. The beautiful muticolored cloaks he wore(vestments), the regal mitra simplex (fancy hat) and holding this big cross as he went to each wonderous picture. (The Stations of the Cross)
I still have a fixation with these pictures and would love to have them on my walls . They are closing down quite a few churches these days so maybe I might get lucky. Somehow "their loss my gain" doesn't seem appropiate". Will I go to hell? ( That ole' catholic guilt trip )

No comments: