Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Grim Reaper












No matter how cute Oscar is, this is one kitty I wouldn't want cuddling up to me........

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) --
You shouldn't be too worried if Oscar the cat crosses your path. But if he curls up beside you, you may want to call your loved ones.

Oscar has the uncanny ability to predict when nursing home patients are within hours of death.
The two-year-old cat has curled up beside 25 people at a Rhode Island nursing home in their final hours.

A doctor at the home says the feline isn't one to make too many mistakes.
Oscar has proven so accurate, he has gotten his own wall plaque and an essay coming out in tomorrow's New England Journal of Medicine.

The furry grim reaper grew up in a third-floor dementia unit.

The staff there is so convinced of his ability, they will call family members once he has chosen someone.

7 comments:

Ur-spo said...

creepy.

Lemuel said...

I guess I am weird at this point. I understand how others are creeped out by the cat, but somehow I would be comforted knowing that this gentle creature wanted to cuddle and to comfort in my last moments.

For some reason Emily is really in my psyche this week. As I read your post and articles about this cat, I can hear in the background, "Because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me, ..."

maggie said...

Hi Spo, Creepy or uncanny?

Hi Lemuel, I don't know if I would find this comforting or unsettling. Apparently the people he curls up with are already unconcious, so who knows how they feel about it.

You really are on an Emily kick this past week. I wonder why?

Hi TY, I thought you might have some insight into this cat's behaviour.
Only because they are part of the family (Felidae) too.

Cat Family - MSN Encarta

maggie said...

Cat Family - MSN Encarta....
encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761567534/Cat_Family

Anonymous said...

I've always had a fear that my many past and present cats warn me of a tornado. I am petrified of tornadoes and they say animals have an ability to know this stuff.

I'm weird.

steve'swhirlyworld said...

I read about that this week...YIKES.

Comments to your comments: GREAT/GRAND - I think it's a cultural thing...she's my brother's grand daughter - we call that "Great"....I've heard it both ways...I could be totally wrong.

The mustangs are sculpture, so that's why it was easy to capture on film :)

maggie said...

Hi BG, You're not weird, you're just sensitive to cats.
And......animals have an ability to "sense" things.

I saw a tornado funnel once, coming across the lake towards our home, five miles away. (I lived on an island surrounded by water).
It dissipated before it reached us but was very scary, so I understand your fear.


Hi Steve, Thanks for clearing that up, I thought it might be something like that. Here, if she's your brother's grand daughter, she would be your grand niece.

BTW
I knew the Mustangs were sculpture, god help me if I appeared that daft! :)